Thursday, July 22, 2010

Back out there with the Band

It was great to be back out gigging again, especially for such a fun and appreciative audience as the firemen turned out to be! And Baby Ben survived it just fine (and my pal who watched him survived his fussy time--whew).

The funniest thing that happened at this gig was when a guy came up to me during the break and asked me if I'd slap him. What?? For real? Yes. He didn't seem like a total creep or anything--in fact, he seemed like a very nice young fireman--so I said ok, and gave him a good ole slap across the face. It was kinda fun actually. (Is that wrong?!) He thanked me and walked away.

Very soon after that a slightly older fireman came up and said to me, "What did my son say to you??!" I just laughed and said something like, "Well, I don't really want to repeat it, but let's just say we're even now." He apologized profusely for his son's rudeness, and then walked away. A little while later I was at the bar getting a refill on my water (I get very thirsty when I sing!), and the young guy, the son, came up to me and thanked me again, both for slapping him and for not giving him away when his dad asked me about it. It turns out that he had made a bet with his friends. He told them that he wanted to come up and talk to me, and they said they didn't think he had the guts (I *told* you it was an appreciative audience!). He then upped the ante and told them what he planned on saying to me, which he didn't repeat to me, but was obviously something quite bold. They said he wouldn't dare say that! And he said oh-yes-he-would, and walked up to me... and you know the rest. Anyway, I guess this mama's still got it ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment