Saturday, September 12, 2009

Making it work... or So far, so good

I've been telling myself that we're easing into a full schedule, but I think it's time to call it what it really is: an experiment with unschooling. So far, I'm loving it, and so is George. I'm realizing more and more just how intense last year was, even at the end when we were homeschooling full-time. Our schedule was jam-packed, and very hectic. George was only doing two classes online, but in addition to that we were doing lots of classes and lessons and activities locally, plus he had a fairly heavy chore schedule at home. Plus, he was shuttled around a lot from place to place with many different caregivers/tutors, because of my schedule. Plus, the two courses he was doing online were pretty intense....

So, we're taking it a bit easy. Math (EPGY, online) is the only academic thing we're doing in a formal way. We'll be starting back up with his recorder lessons soon, and the homeschool field-trip schedule is picking up, and Friday we'll also be starting a homeschool swim/gym program at the YMCA that includes a Spanish class as well. Oh yeah, and George has also joined the church choir, which is actually a pretty serious choir with a big musical education component. We'll also be checking into Tae Kwon Do. Whew, doesn't sound like we'll be taking it so easy for much longer!

Our morning routine usually goes something like this: we wake up early, before either of us is really ready for breakfast, and we often start out watching some sort of social-studies-themed documentary. There's an endless supply to TiVo on cable, and many of them are quite interesting. He's a pretty sophisticated viewer, and often likes to dissect both the presentation and the content with me, so he's also getting an education in rhetoric and the media! Then we have breakfast and tea, during which we either do a round or two of Mad Libs (great for reinforcing the parts of speech, even though to be honest he has had those down pat for quite some time) or play one of his math card games (although he's doing pretty advanced math, his math facts can still use some reinforcement). After breakfast he does some household chore or other while I clean up. It's usually about 9 or so by this time, and we head to the computers--he to a desktop in his stepsister's room (it's the least-worst of the house computers) and I to my laptop, in the same room. He does his math, and I start on my work. At this point I choose something to do that doesn't require uninterrupted concentration on my part, as he sometimes either has a question or needs a little redirecting (his mind can wander a bit, particularly when the computer gets slow or when the work gets a little too easy and he starts embellishing to make it more interesting).

Once he's done with his math, I pretty much let him go off and running with whatever he wants (um, except for watching tv), while I focus more intently on my work. Some days he pours over these Greek mythology/monster cards that he has, making up games with them but also drawing all sorts of interesting parallels and conclusions about the various gods and creatures. He's definitely learning the basics of Greek mythology better than I ever did in grade school (this also due to his love of the Percy Jackson book series). Other days he writes stories and comics. Most days he also reads voraciously, as he has always been wont to do. And yes, I even experimented with letting him play his favorite computer game for much of the afternoon (Poptropica). He actually got bored with it, and with playing on the computer in general, which I never thought I'd see!

At some point in the afternoon I take a break for phys ed, and I either twist his arm into going on a walk with me (he rides his scooter), or we play tennis, or swim (those days are numbered!), or some combination thereof. Then later in the afternoon, when school has let out, he often plays with the kids from the neighborhood, while I continue working. I'm teaching in the evening this semester, so my husband can cover most of those hours with him, and I have various sitters set up to come over during those times when I have office hours/meetings/other obligations (usually in the afternoons, so most days our morning routine can stay intact).

Although I won't deny that it's a lot for me to handle, I will say that it's working out much better than I feared. I can actually get quite a lot of work done with this set up, because George is really great about leaving me alone when I tell him I need it. Part of that is due to his temperament, but I think it's also that I spend that quality time with him first thing in the morning, which starts his day out right.

If I had time, I'd read a bunch of books about unschooling, and would feel like I really knew what I was doing.... But actually, I do feel like I know what I'm doing! I'm both following my instincts regarding what my kid needs, and doing what I need to do to make it work for me as well. Come to think of it, that's pretty much been at the core of my parenting since George was a baby.

I'm sure our approach to schooling will continue to evolve over time. Homeschooling, like parenting, is definitely a process. For now, he's thriving, and it's working for me. I'm good with that.

2 comments:

  1. We're loving it. It provides just the right amount of structure and intensity for him. Occasionally he gets frustrated with it--especially when there's a technical issue, which happens from time to time, or when he gets stuck (mostly the course is presented in such a way that he doesn't get stuck, but it does happen once in a while). I learned that I can't leave him alone in front of the computer to do it; he needs a human being nearby to talk him through it when he hits a snag (or when his mind wanders over to the bookshelf!) Overall, though, I'd recommend it highly. I know it's teaching him math more effectively and easily than I could!

    ReplyDelete