Thursday, December 17, 2009

More holiday spirit

Man, I am so full of holiday spirit this year... could it be because I'm (drumroll, in case you don't know) pregnant?!

Whatever the reason, I've been totally in the mood for Christmas since even before my birthday, in early December, which never happens. (It usually dawns on me that Christmas is coming less than a week before it arrives, when I'm finally done with my semester.) You might think this means that my decorations have all been put up and my presents are bought, wrapped, and sent out, along with my holiday cards... but you'd probably only really think that if you didn't know me.

In spite of all that spirit, I think I've decided not to get a real tree this year. Our plan was to get a fake tree for the man cave, on which we would put all of my husband's ornaments, and the customary real one downstairs, near the front door, for all of mine. But once we decked out the man cave and set up the fake tree it just looked so awesome that we've pretty much decided to move Christmas up there this year. Besides, we can't find the box with my husband's ornaments, and although we're hoping it will surface sooner or later, I thought I might just as well hang all of mine up there. So, there will be no stockings hung on the mantle downstairs (but they look so great hanging on the shelf near the tree upstairs), and no tree when I walk in the front door (ok, I'm thinking of getting a little potted plant for the spot). But ever since we made the man cave, in early 2009, we've spent most of our free time there anyway--I can't remember the last time we hung out in the living room--so it kind of seems right.

I've also been really into holiday activities with the homeschoolers this year, the latest of which was making gingerbread houses today:



Danny, one of the younger ones, was stuffing candy in his pockets; when it started to fall out he did the logical thing and transferred it to his boot:
This house ended up being a joint effort by George and me, because he got bored with it after awhile:

Gingerbread (ok, Graham Cracker) Row:

Voila, our Christmas table centerpiece for this year. Who knows: it may end up being the only decoration downstairs....

No comments:

Post a Comment