Sunday, June 27, 2010

Scary movies

George tells me that the 4 scariest movies he's ever seen are:

4. Toy Story 3
3. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
2. Super Size Me
1. Gasland

Out of the lot, Killer Klowns was the only one he actually enjoyed. I had been looking forward to taking him to Toy Story 3, but his dad beat me to it--which wouldn't have stopped me from also taking him, except that he does *not* want to see it again! Not because it was too scary, primarily, but because he also found it quite sad, and just did not find it fun. Oh well. Super Size Me was scary in what I think is an appropriate way... we should be afraid of McDonald's! And ditto for Gasland, which details the disastrous effects of natural gas drilling, although that one affected him perhaps a little too much.

His dad took him to a screening of Gasland last week at which the director was present. George fully expected to find it uninteresting, and had brought a book along with him. But it seems he didn't read much of his book. His dad told me that George was so upset about the movie that he was crying about it later that night, and what he was most upset about was that his baby brother might have to grow up in a wasteland! So sweet and sad at the same time. I watched the movie a few days later on HBO; it is indeed awfully disturbing. I'm hoping that the attention the movie brings to the issue will be enough to halt the drilling. But I told George that if things really get that bad here we'll find a way to move somewhere else. Maybe somewhere free of scary day care centers, Killer Klowns, and McDonald's!?

No comments:

Post a Comment