Friday, May 29, 2009

Note to Self: Listen to Your Kid

You'd think that since my semester is over I'd have all the time in the world to write in here (and to do all kinds of things, for that matter), but of course it doesn't really work that way. However, if you could see how much tidier my house is than it was a couple of weeks ago, you'd see that I have indeed been accomplishing something of great magnitude! Plus several projects at work needed attention (classes are over, but there's always more work to be done), plus I've been really busy with the band... but that's another story. What I want to write about is math.

Ok, not math per se, but how math had become such a struggle, when initially George was loving it. When he started his online EPGY math class back in March, he was so excited you'd have thought I'd signed him up for an online video game service. Sure, he needed reminding to work on it some days, but I never had to push him. That all changed in California over Easter (when I should have let him take a break for the week, but instead insisted on making him work pretty much every day). When we got back he just never wanted to do it, and when he expressed to me that he needed a vacation, I didn't listen right away. Honestly, I was thinking that it was kind of a lame excuse. Don't ask me why--I myself *certainly* needed a break from work, and didn't grade any of the papers I had brought with me to CA. Anyway, I finally gave him the break he'd been asking for, but if you've read the previous post, you'll know it didn't seem to be working.

Turns out I just needed to give it a chance. He recently started back up with the math, and guess what? He loves it again. Yes, I still have to remind him to do it most days, but he's genuinely enjoying it. So, it seems, he wasn't just making up excuses; he really knew what he needed. And what he needed was pretty reasonable.

A vacation, like everyone else around him got.

No comments:

Post a Comment